Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I heart you too

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

Love … real love … is not about getting, it’s about giving. Love is not about me, it’s about the one who is loved. It’s not about my needs, it’s about the needs of the other person. It’s not about what I want, it’s about focusing on the other person’s wants.

Love does not come naturally. My nature is selfish. It is my nature to focus on what I need and what I want. It is my nature to be sure that I am provided for. Love goes against my nature. Love requires that I say “no” to what comes naturally for me and deliberately choose a different course, a course that is focused on someone other than myself.

The perfect example of love is seen in Jesus Christ. There is nothing about Jesus’ life that was focused on Himself. He perfectly demonstrated a life given for the good of others. And He calls us to follow His example.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Glad I'm not the only selfish person out there! Thanks for some much needed reminders!

Jesse said...

Jesus does call us to be like Him and it is such a difficult thing to do. Thank goodness for forgiveness!!
Thanks for the reminder Jeanne.

Lisa said...

Selfishness is part of the human make-up. It is okay to be selfish sometimes, necessary even, to make sure our needs are met. It is bad to always be selfish and to not also sometimes put another's needs first. It is a constant balancing act.

James E. Miller said...

What a beautiful reminder. Thanks, Jeanne.

By the way, I saw you posted this at 4:44 a.m. You need to be sleeping at such a ridiculous hour!