Thursday, March 20, 2008

'Nam '08 Man!

Whew! These days are flying by!

The trip to the provinces was not really what I was expecting. I have to somewhat shamelessly admit that I went the attitude and expectation of having some sort of Feed the Children infomercial experience. I expected to leave there in tears at what I saw.

Yes, what I saw was truly the most deplorable living conditions I've ever laid my eyes on. Garbage remains where it lands, which means everywhere. The smell in some of the places is no like no odor I can even begin to name. There is no access to running, or even fresh water is some places. Most homes are built with minimal lumber, instead using palm prawns to complete siding or roofs. None give relief from the incessant heat.

But..... the kids, these small little beings of constant movement, are some of the happiest children I've met in a long time. They all had bright smiles, and once each got to all touch my blonde hair and check out my blue eyes, were so much fun to play with! As they all patiently lined up for lunch, the older siblings automatically paired with the younger to help. Each child put their hands together and politely bowed, looked me in the eyes and said "Akon" (thank you) No one grabbed, no one complained, no whined that someone else got a bigger piece. All smiled, ate, and after were ready to sing songs, play, or make fun of my language skills! It was a great day. My heart breaks for their living conditions, my heart longs to stay and help them find a better way to live, but no where in my heart did I feel pity. For they are happy. I feel that if I pity them, it would be an insult as to how they live life. They live with a content happy attitude. I can't say that is the feeling across all of Cambodia. In fact, I'm sure its not. I'm sure there parents are worn out from a life of hardships and naught. But, these kids, these babies, don't know that life yet, and for last Tuesday, I'm glad I got to experience life through their eyes.

Along with that feeling, I'm finding it hard to take pictures of people here. I feel like I'm say 'Hey let me document your poverty to show my friends and family when I get back to my rich life.' I have taken a few, when I' feel that it is not inappropriate, but its hard to do.

I'm off to Vietnam tomorrow. The bus ride to Ho Chi Min is around six hours and cost a whopping $12. I'm traveling with two of the other teachers from the school. One, being the mature age of 83, but I think in a street fight she could take me! We plan to stay 2 nights and fly home Monday.

I'm very excited to go. Wish me safe and exciting travels!

5 comments:

Ang said...

What an amazing experience!! Isn't it awesome how you went to teach and yet are learning so much. Thanks for all the updates. I wish you could bottle up all that happiness from those children who have nothing and teach a little lesson here to every toddler and schoolaged child in America.

James E. Miller said...

Those are some great thoughts, Jeanne. Your perception of the the children you met is very profound. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I appreciate your thoughts on taking pictures of the people and the poverty. I think that's wise.

I'm so thankful for all you are learning and teaching.

Love you.

Tiffany said...

Yay Jeanne-you saw God! That's what I mean about the extremely poor-especially in SE Asia: they have joy in the midst of horrible circumstance. That kind of joy-what radiates through those kids-especially considering they're hungry, not healthy, itchy, dirty, etc...-can only come from God. They greatest lesson I learned in my years overseas was to find joy and contentment no matter where I am. If those kids can laugh and smile in their hut, I can have Jesus' joy in my 1700 sq. foot house! Blessings on the rest of your trip!

Jesse said...

Jeanne, what an amazing post. I think you are doing some amazing things. I understand what you are saying about taking pictures of the poverty and all. Maybe some pics of the city and landscapes though? Blessings for your trip to Vietnam!

Amanda Sanders said...

Jeanne, So glad to have found your blog! You are an amazing woman. Can't wait to hear more about how you are doing Our Father's work.