Monday, March 17, 2008

My Own March Madness

Well, I just wrapped up my first week of teaching! It was awesome! I love, love, love my students! Most are at a 3rd grade reading and vocabulary level. ( I have to give a special shout out to Tiffany, without whom, there is no way on heaven or earth, the lesson plans would be nearly as effective. You left quite the legacy Tiffany!) So my job is not too difficult. Most often explaining confusing words or tricky pronunciations. (Example: The farmer produced produce. or The man deserted his dessert in the desert)

They are all eager to learn English and challenge me every day with their well thought out questions. Today, when reading the story of Moses and the Exodus from Egypt, the student asked why when God performed the final plague of the death of the firstborn, is it not a sin when God kills. It is also so special to look into the eyes of a student when they finally understand that our great Creator, the God who made the sun, moon, and stars, still cares about every detail of our lives too! I now truly understand the meaning of "the harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few". There is such a need for SO many things in Cambodia. Yet, the people still remain so gentle and loving. I don't know how I'm going to be able to walk away knowing what a need for help they have here!

I spent Saturday exploring the city. I went to both major markets and did an overall journey about town. I now feel pretty acclimated and can find my way home from most places. Hopefully now I can to explore a little more by foot or tuk tuk.

Tomorrow I will join up with the nutrition team and head out to the villages around Phnom Penh. The plan so far is to not only feed the kids but to try and measure an estimated 1,000 kids in the morning for shoes, then by afternoon be at the local orphanage to help out there! Wish us luck!

There is of course so much more to tell and say, but it is hard to find enough words to try and describe how wonderful it is here. Also, I'm sitting outside at the internet cafe and I'm starting to really get mauled by the bugs! So that's it for tonight!

My heart is for these people. Please keep them in your prayers! oxoxo

3 comments:

James E. Miller said...

Great post. Thanks for explaining the difficulties you have in teaching, as that gives us insight into what you are doing each day. And by the way, questions like why it isn't wrong when God commands the slaughter of children haunt me regularly. I'm not sure any theologian can adequately explain that to me.

I'm glad you're getting to know the city better. That always helps you feel more established and secure.

Anyway, keep up the posts. We love reading about your experiences. And we love you!

Jesse said...

Jeanne I am so proud of you, have I mentioned that yet? Way to go. Sounds as if things are going quite well. Have fun meeting all those children! What an awesome way to share God's love! Take care, I can't wait to see some pics! God Bless!

Tiffany said...

You're doing a fabulous job! I'm so excited for you! If you see Sokha at the orphanage, give her a big hug for me tomorrow! Enjoy a long cyclo ride from the river downtown, drink a cool lime juice with the sugar in liquid form given to you on the side (they have it at Java); look a bunch of sweet babies in the eye in the country side, no matter how malnurished or inured they are and tell them that Jesus loves them, and don't be afraid to say, "I have no idea," when a student asks you why God chose Jacob over Esau! (And of course make it clear that Jesus did NOT reincarnate!) Oh fun times.... ;) Give everyone my love and have a blast!!! And by the way, in reference to you last post, a night with God in a hammock on the roof can heal a lonely heart. So can the kids you'll meet in the countryside tomorrow. You won't have to look too hard to see God in the eyes and smiles of the extremely poor, and then you won't be so lonely. I promise; I've been there!