Monday, March 31, 2008

Winding Down

I can't believe that tomorrow begins my one week countdown to my departure. I have tried not to think about how quickly the time has gone, but my students are all aware of when I leave, and each on today asked repeatedly as to when I would be coming back. It was heartbreaking to say, I don't know, and then watch their faces as they understood.

My plan for the week is to catch up with the medical missions team on wednesday to spend a couple of days on the boat traveling up the Mekong river to visit some of the remote provinces that have little to no access to medical help. The team who runs it is amazing, and I am thankful to be able to spend sometime with them. They are in desperate need of a doctor, so if anyone knows of someone who is looking for a big adventure....

As soon as I get back from the boat I have one more class with my students, then I'm off to Siem Reap to explore the ancient temples of Angkor Wat. I couldn't find anyone who hadn't been, or who wanted to go again so I hired a guide to show me around. First thing on my agenda when I get there is to ride an elephant around the temples. Too cool!

My time in Cambodia has been amazing. I'm still trying to comprehend all that I've seen, done and learned. I know that I came here to 'teach' english and to share God's love. But truthfully, I think I've learned more here than I could have ever have hope to teach.

This will probably be my last post until I"m back on US soil. Please keep me in your prayers this last week. Pray that the seeds planted here will take deep root. Not just in the students, but myself as well.

Chomm reap lea! (Khmer phonics to say 'fairwell")

2 comments:

Sara said...

That was a fast month. Enjoy your last week!

Tiffany said...

Make sure you get to Ta Prohm-the jungle temple. I thought it was much more beautiful than Angkor. I'm sure the guide will take you there. I'll be looking for a Dr.! Blessings,