Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Don't Spit In the Wind (and other things I've learned in life thus far)

In honor of my birthday next week (didn't I just have one of these last year?!!)  I thought I would compile a list of lessons that have been influential to me over the past year(s).   Some of these lessons come from advice passed along, and some I've learned through experience.   All I hope to continue to be applied in my life for the next 30 years....

I hope some of them benefit you too...


1.  It takes a long time to become the person you want to be.

2.  You shouldn't compare yourself to the best others can do.

3.  Either you control your attitude, or it will control you.

4.  It isn't always enough to be forgiven by others.  Sometime you have to learn to forgive yourself.

5.  You cannot make someone love you.  All you can do is be a person who can be loved.  The rest is up to them.

6.  No matter how much you care, some people just don't care back. 

7.  It takes years to build trust, and only seconds to break it.

8.  Just because two people argue doesn't mean they don't love each other.  And just because they don't argue doesn't mean they do.

9.  Sometimes when I'm angry I have the right to be angry, but that never gives me the right to be cruel.

10.  No matter how bad my heart is broken, the world doesn't stop to grieve. 

11.  Your life can be changed in a matter of moments by people who don't even know you.

12.  Don't be so eager to find out a secret - it could change your life forever.

13.  Never pretend to be something your not.

14.  Love has nothing to do with looks.

15. Kindness and hard work can sometimes get you further than intelligence.

16.  People deserve a second chance.

17.  Stepping outside your comfort zone will put things into perspective from an angle you often can't grasp now.

18.  Taking ownership of failures helps build the foundations of success.

19.  Make the choice to cultivate gratitude everyday.  

20.  My parents really do know more than I give them credit for.

21.  Love is a gift - freely given or received - the choice is mine.

22. Happiness is not based on external status but is an internal state.

23.  Remember what your mother taught you.  It comes from the most sacred place that love exists. 

24.  The source of most anxiety is from living in the future or the past.

25.  Your beliefs filter your reality.

26.  Perfection is my enemy. 

27.  Read Pslams.   The book contains every human emotion.

28.  Say yes to a random adventure.

29.  Sometimes good-bye is a second chance.

30.  If it changes your life, let it.  It may not be easy, but it will be worth it.

31.  God is always good.

3 comments:

Mom said...

I was going to comment on the lessons I'm still learning, but there were too many. Love you, my precious girl.

Dale said...

I see much wisdom here. Thanks for posting this.

Dan, Kellie & Kiddos said...

#31 - Thanks for the reminder!!!